Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Where To Begin Remodeling a 1974 House



Just as it is looking at remodeling an entire house, so I feel in starting this blog--I find myself asking, "Where do I even start?" I can't really go in order of our projects, because for the longest time (okay, at this posting, it has been five months) we don't have any fully completed rooms. We've been working on the most important parts, I guess--like getting two bathrooms up and running, or making sure we have a working kitchen sink and cooktop even though there is a huge space missing tile in the kitchen. Some projects are just more important than others.


Why This House?

Over the course of our marriage, my husband and I have purchased 8 houses together with various characteristics.
  1. Age: Brand-new (picked out everything from the plan to the fixtures) and watched it be built to the oldest having been constructed in 1959.
  2. Style: One-story, sprawling ranch-style homes to a three-story with a living area in the basement and most of the bedrooms all the way on the top.
  3. Location: Right smack in the middle of town to the edge of town (and having to contend with urban sprawl messing up our view of cow pastures).
  4. Backyard Sizes: From postage-stamp sized with a tree house and trampoline crammed in to a huge one perfect for playing soccer or football because there was nothing else back there--including any kind of overhang over the tiny concrete back-door slab to growing raspberries, grapes, strawberries, a complete rose garden, and the softest grass imaginable.
So when it came time to shop for this house--the one we hope we are staying in for a while, there were a few things we were looking for:
  1. Mid-century Ranch! I love the style and the age of the home with the characteristics specific to that era.
  2. Large room sizes and large backyard--and looking for this age of house helps in that regard, for sure!
  3. Mature trees with gorgeous leaves!
  4. Projects for us to tackle--not too many and not too difficult, but not too few either.

Why This Blog?

Our Realtor found us the perfect fixer upper, and I am thrilled to have the opportunity to make it our own! Because I like looking on Pinterest and Google for remodeling ideas, I thought it might be fun to start a blog to chronicle our renovations as well to share our pictures and ideas in the hopes that it will inspire your own creativity. I hope you enjoy the journey as we move along. I would love comments or emails with your pictures, suggestions, and questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment