Monday, December 14, 2015

Before & After Renovation of 1974 Entryway



My husband and I have been renovating our new-to-us 1974 Texas ranch style home in our spare time. We both have other full-time gigs (I am a novelist; he's a physical therapist), so the going is a little slow sometimes. But we finally have a room done! So here's the before and after post that's only been six months in the making. (You try renovating an entire house all at one time. Kidding. I'm not worried about how long it is taking. It's still fun!)

So here is our entryway . . .

Before:



And After:



Things that didn't change:

  • Tile--Call me strange, but one of the things I like about these 1950-1970s houses in Texas (we have now owned four in West Texas) is this terrazzo tile. It's unique enough, and neutral enough, I want to keep it. It helps ground the home in time--gives it a little retro feel--yet doesn't feel old. It makes me happy.

Terrazzo Tile: Mid-century Mod Miracle Flooring

Things that didn't change (continued):

  • Light fixture
  • Mirror (except color--a blog post about that)
  • Any structure for that matter (except for the addition of the French doors)

Things that did change:

  • Colors of just about everything (except tile)--including the ceiling and trim
  • The wallpaper was textured over (a later blog post will explain why)

Prepped for Texture

Things that did change (continued):

  • French doors added to the formal living room (which I LOVE!)

In addition to the mirror revamp, I had to do something with my entry table, which was way too small. That, too, is another blog post to come, but isn't the piano top cool?

Repurposed piano top into table top. Painted gold mirror.

While we were house hunting, I started a couple of Pinterest boards to collect ideas of how I might renovate, refurbish, or personalize each home. One of the first pins I found became the inspiration for my entryway. I didn't try to recreate it, exactly, but obviously, I took some hints from what the designer had done and incorporated them into my home. Not too bad, right? I wish I could have found the rug, but for the price, mine works A-OK, and ties in the dark table and grout. I like it. Especially when you see it in better light (the backlighting made my entry look a little dark).


From House of Turquoise
And Mine.



1 comment:

  1. Love it!!! Especially the turquoise door! The typewriter definitely makes it YOU.

    ReplyDelete