Friday, January 1, 2016

Repurposed DIY Entry Table



I love my "new" entry table! It makes me happy to know I took two existing things that were of no use to me in their current condition, and changed them into exactly what I needed. The entire project cost me about $18--admittedly because I already had some of the materials, but even if we had to build the entire table from scratch, it wouldn't have cost that much more.

Well, this is after my husband started dismantling it. But you see the scale is way too small for the space.


This is the table I started with. When we first purchased this table, it was about twice as long and weathered, unstained wood. It worked great for the size of my entry in that house and worked with my decor. When we moved, my foyer changed shape significantly, and the only wall space I had for a table was greatly diminished, so my husband took it apart, cut it down, and reassembled it. I rubbed some mahagonay wood gel stain over the wood, and it was perfect. Until we moved again.

Now at our new house, the table was way too small to fill the space. It also didn't fit the feel I wanted for this house. No problem. So I set to shopping to look for something new. I wanted something with character. Something unexpected, yet functional. I went to every thrift store, antique store, and used furniture store in town. I scoured Craig's List and Pinterest to either buy or create my own entry table.

Piano top on an old bookshelf to get an idea if it was going to work. This is before it was cleaned up or anything else.

Finally, I spotted it. I was in a small antique store, Glory B's, run by the most amazing shopkeeper. It's a darling store with sundry vintage items; the kind of store where you can make great discoveries. As I poked around, I didn't see a table per se that would work, so I was thinking about what I could repurpose. I saw some shutters (which I have a few of at home, but never seemed quite right) and next to them, a long, solid piece of battered wood that, upon closer inspection, turned out to be part of a piano. I was super excited. I think the shopkeeper probably had some project in mind for it, and there was no price listed, but we settled on a price, and I lugged it out to my car, still not sure what I was going to use as a base.

How do you like my Nativity scene? Just trying out how it might be as a table, and figuring out where our Christmas decorations will go at the same time.

After an exhausting search, I was still at a loss for a base, so I headed to a decorating warehouse and found columns. My husband and I bought, I think, three separate pairs trying to find just the right look.

Still not quite right . . .

In the end, the columns didn't make the cut. For one thing, the colors were wrong--especially with that mirror. I knew I could change the look of the mirror (and already had a few times), but the more formal look simply didn't fit the rest of the house. So I returned all of the columns to the store, and I was back to figuring out what to do.

While checking out the size of the piano top and if that was even an option I wanted to pursue, I had taken my old, small entry table and paired it with a close-but-not-close-enough height bookcase. Obviously they weren't going to stay, but the more I looked at it, the more I realized I liked the look of the table's simple frame holding up the piano top. I just had to convince my husband.

Obviously, the base(s) weren't staying. This was a size check to make sure I wanted to use the piano top.

Luckily, it doesn't take much to convince my husband to take on a project, especially one this easy. So he took the table apart (one of the first pictures in this post shows that already in progress).


He measured, cut, and mitered new wood to fill in where I needed longer pieces. Basically, he just keep the end parts of the table, inserted new long boards on the front and back, and voila, here we are.

DIY table base extension before stain.

There was no need to even add top pieces, since no one was going to see those anyway.

I was a little hesitant to remove the strip of wood that ran most of the length (the music holder), but it hindered decorating the way I wanted it (it needed to be upside down to be more stable at the hinge), so off it went.


And here it is. The finished project. I might need a little more stain on the front, now that I look at the pictures, but still, I love it. It is the perfect mix of simple and elegant, vintage and new. It is functional and interesting without being strangely out of place. And it's a little bit unique. 






No comments:

Post a Comment